Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
07/22/19 at 19:40:24
News: We've upgraded to YaBB 2!
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Can Equipment Failures Really Be Eliminated ? (Read 4474 times)
Rolly Angeles
Rolly Angeles

Can Equipment Failures Really Be Eliminated ?
05/23/07 at 09:10:50

Hello to All,

I would like to hear your opinion on which one would do you think is more appropriate and correct and why ?. I plan this to be my next newsletter, and definetly, I'll give credit to those who will respond to this thread.

So which one of this statement is correct ?

1st : We can definetly eliminate failures by analyzing them through RCFA and RCA .

2nd : We cannot eliminate the likelihood of a failure, but rather we can only prevent or predict the failure from occuring.

3rd : Failures cannot be eliminated and the best that maintenance can do is to reduce them.

4rth : Failures cannot be eliminated the best that maintenance can do is to prolong or delay the process of failure itself.

My Warm Regards,

Rolly Angeles
Teacher
www.rsareliability.com

Rolly Angeles
www.rsareliability.com
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Rolly Angeles
Rolly Angeles

Re: Can Equipment Failures Really Be Eliminated ?
Reply #1 - 08/17/07 at 21:01:29

Dear All,

Let me conclude my discussion here as to what I think is most relevant and appropriate :

1st : We can definetly eliminate failures by analyzing them through RCFA and RCA .

My reply :  

Wrong !!! Failures cannot be totally elimated by analyzing them through RCFA and RCA. There are a variety of causes to understand and analyze and every single failure have their own unique causes and when we only treat a single cause then there is a likelihood of that same part to fail again in the future due to a different cause, remember when we speak about Root Cause Failure Analysis and Root Cause Analysis, we are dealing with evidences as to what really have caused the part to fail and not all the probable causes that might cause the part to fail.  

As my good and dear friend Bob Nelms from Failsafe-Network once told me that you cannot remove an ocean with a fork (not even a spoon)
simply concurrs that it is possible to remove or eliminate the cause but not the failure itself.

A bearing can fail for a multiple variety of reasons and taking care only on a single cause (perhaps the analysis shows that bearing failure was due to lubrication failure) will not eliminate its occurance since it can fail in the future due to some other reasons such as brinelling, pitting fatigue, spalling, misalignment, careless handling, overlube, underlube, dirt, etc.  

RCM was founded on the belief that its purpose was to eliminated / reduce plane crashes per million take-offs by studing every single part and its behavior. Today, plane still crashes for some other reasons such as terrorism.

2nd : We cannot eliminate the likelihood of a failure, but rather we can only prevent or predict the failure from occuring.

Yes, it is possible to prevent failures for age related patterns which are around 15 to 20% of overall equipment failures and predict failures for those who inhibit signs of potential failure.

But this is not the goal of maintenance, if a bearing fails prematurely, yes we can predict that it is on the verge of failing, but the life of the bearing had not been maximized but only predicted in advance. Not all failures can be predicted and prevented.

3rd : Failures cannot be eliminated and the best that maintenance can do is to reduce them.

Wrong !!! Some think that when we have experience zero unplanned breakdown or have reduced failure tremendously as per seen on our breakdown indices for the past couple of years, but have we have really eliminated the likelihood of a failure ? No, this is not true, it will occur but on a delayed process, we are just delaying the process of failure

4rth : Failures cannot be eliminated the best that maintenance can do is to prolong or delay the process of failure itself.

Correct !!! I think that we must not be misled that maintenance can eliminate failures, they will happen and they will occur, the best that we can do is to delay its process, control the timing of failure or eventually prolong the occurrence of failure, yet in the end failure and breakdowns will do occur on the equipment.

Conclusion :

Failures cannot be eliminated and failures vary in consequences, the best the we maintenance and reliability people can do is to delay the process of failure and control the timing of failure but eventually and inevitably expect failure to occur in the future.

If you are experiencing a no failure situation in you equipment, it is just temporary, because of your good system of maintenance you are only delaying the process of failure.

I've been in the field of TPM for so many years and its goal is to zero out unplanned breakdowns is idealistic and in its technical sense next to impossible if we really understand how part really behaves, when parts wear out, in its technical sense it failed. Hence, we are not really eliminating failure itself but just doing the best we can do to prolong the life of the part or component.

Kindly click on this link for a newsletter I wrote If failures can really be eliminated
http://www.rsareliability.com/newsletterjune2007issue.htm

My Warm Regards,

Rolly Angeles
www.rsareliability.com
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
rsare
RSA Newbies

Forum member

Re: Can Equipment Failures Really Be Eliminated ?
Reply #2 - 10/29/11 at 02:20:24

Can equipment failures be eliminated?  

All equipment experience wear and tear. So the answer is No - however it can be reduce to a level where risk is acceptable. And thats what we normally do - the focus really is the evaluation of risk againts the consequence impacting SHE and profit.

Since risk is associated with frequency and consequence - ang tutok o mitigation ay sa pagbaba ng probablilities of occurence. Not much can be done with the consequence.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print