Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
11/18/19 at 08:18:43
News: YaBB is sponsored by XIMinc!
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Difficulties In Implementing TPM (Read 14965 times)
Rolly Angeles
Rolly Angeles

Difficulties In Implementing TPM
05/31/07 at 18:13:14

Dear All TPM Practicioners,

For those of you implementing TPM practices in your plant, I highly appreciate if you can share on this forum the difficulties in implementing TPM and as well as success you have undergone so far in implementing them.

Many books on TPM have already been written showing companies and industries that have already reaped its success, but it is not the easy.

Perhaps from these sharing we can learn and share our experiences.  Hope that you can contribute.

My Warm Regards,

Rolly Angeles
Teacher
www.rsareliability.com

Rolly Angeles
www.rsareliability.com
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
bladesofazrael
RSA Newbies

Forum member

Re: Difficulties In Implementing TPM
Reply #1 - 08/28/07 at 03:58:04

Difficulties faced in TPM implementation:

•  Typically people show strong resistance to change.

•  Many people treat it just another “Program of the month ” without paying any focus and also doubt about the effectiveness.

•  Not sufficient resources ( people,money,time,etc.) and assistance provided

•  Insufficient understanding of the methodology and philosophy by middle management

•  TPM is not a “quick fix ” approach, it involve cultural change to the ways we do things

•  Departmental barrier existing within Business Unit

•  Many people considered TPM activities as additional work/threat.

Michael Tyrone Alinell
Plant and Building Maintenance Engineer
Calamba City, Laguna
bladesofazrael@gmail.com
bladesofazrael@yahoo.com
bladesofazrael@lycos.com
mtbalinell@hotmail.com
Email View Profile bladesofazrael bladesofazrael   IP Logged
Rolly Angeles
Rolly Angeles

Reply #2 - 08/28/07 at 07:34:20

Hello Michael,

I have spend almost my entire period when I was working with one industry as a TPM Senior Engineer and have learned very well from experience in implementing it.

TPM originated from the east, the Japanese, they have a way of doing things, what is important is not exactly to imitate them which will never work for industries.  I know that most industries implementing this strategy are struggling and your remarks are also their frustrations.

Before embarking to any TPM strategy, kindly take note of the following, if these factors are not taken or been looked at, then it is guaranteed that TPM will fail.

1st : TPM Goals and the Company's goals must be aligned, if they are different then you will have a  
       hard time in implementing TPM.

2nd : TPM cannot be done by one person or a TPM Facilitator, it requires an office, staffed by full-time
        people with a manager to whom they will report.  Their function is to overlook the implementation
        of TPM.  It is impossible to implement TPM with people working as part time.

3rd : Managers must be included in pilot machines.  TPM called this the Manager's Model Machine and
       this is one of JIPM's requirement.

4rth : Does the company have a budget for TPM implementation.  TPM is costly most specially during
        the initial stages of the implementation as restoration and correction of abnormalities will take  
        place.

5th  : TPM is heavy on documentation, make sure that the people doing it understands this requirement.
        Documents should not be placed on folders but rather on bulletin boards for everyone to see.

6th  : Highlight the success, this is the only leverage that you have to sell them to management.  Do not
        present it yourself but rather have the team present them to Top Management.

7th  : TPM will never work through Management Support, what we need is Management Commitment

8th  : Training is very important for TPM Start-up activities, all must be trained most specially  
        Mangement.

Thanks for your remarks, highly appreciate it.

My Warm Regards,

Rolly Angeles
www.rsareliability.com
Rolly Angeles
Rolly Angeles

Reply #3 - 12/06/07 at 06:59:31

To All Forum Members implementing TPM (Total Productive Maintenance),

Here is a newsletter I wrote recently summarizing why TPM is hard to implement ? Hope you read them and find it of value. Kindly click on the link below :

http://www.rsareliability.com/newsletternovember2007issue.htm

My Warm Regards,

Rolly Angeles
www.rsareliability.com
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print