Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
12/10/18 at 13:38:19
News: Signup for free on our forum and benefit from new features!
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Difference Between CBM and PdM (Read 25103 times)
Rolly Angeles
Rolly Angeles

Difference Between CBM and PdM
06/17/07 at 18:08:22

Dear All,

We often heard the terms Predictive Maintenance and Condition-Based Maintenance, are they the same or they have a difference in some sort, and what is the difference between the two ?  Is PdM a part of CBM or CBM is a part of PdM ?  We would like to know how to use these 2 terms correctly ?

My Warm Regards,

Rolly Angeles

« Last Edit: 06/27/07 at 18:52:05 by Rolly Angeles »  

Rolly Angeles
www.rsareliability.com
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Rolly Angeles
Rolly Angeles

Re: Difference Between CBM and PdM
Reply #1 - 07/22/07 at 04:16:35

Dear All,

This is what I know and the term predictive is used so the maintenance tasks can rhyme.

Reactive, Preventive, Predictive, Proactive, Detective (Added by John Moubray)

If we speak about Predictive Maintenance then we speak about the use of these non-destructive instruments to predict potential failures.

If we speak about Condition-Based Maintenance, we speak about the system as a whole, the Predictive Maintenance Organization, the softwares, trending results and analyzing them, monitoring schedules, cost savings generated etc. etc. which made me to conclude that PdM is only a subset of CBM. Hence, if we speak about the instruments being used then we speak about PdM but if we speak about the system as a whole then we speak about CBM.

My Warm Regards,

Rolly Angeles
www.rsareliability.com
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
rsare
RSA Newbies

Forum member

Re: Difference Between CBM and PdM
Reply #2 - 10/29/11 at 03:02:01

Katulad ng nabangit na, here where I work we practice reactive, PM, predictive and proactive maintenance activities.

Reactive kung equipment are non-critical (we dont make a distinction between safety and production critical equipment, although their priorities differ). PM we're making an effort to reduce it.  

Predictive are the norms practice for critical equipment. For rotating equipment, we have vibration surveys, lube maintenance, sound surveys atb. Sa kaso naman ng fixed equipment, we have the TML's, IR , noise survey, MFL at accoustic emission para sa tangke at kung ano-ano pa. The intent is to monitor the health of the equipment para bago ito bumigay ay napaghahandaan na.

Proactive are normally capital intensive prescription - the last recourse to achieve the equipment performance desired.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print