Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
07/22/19 at 19:37:52
News: Latest info can be found on the YaBB Chat and Support Community.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Competencies of fresh Mechanical Engineeres (Read 11682 times)
HNGOHEL
RSA Newbies

Forum member

Competencies of fresh Mechanical Engineeres
07/22/07 at 03:59:09

Dear Rolly,
We have recruited fresh 50 mechanical engineers in total five batches. They will work for various departments like petrochemical plant maintenance, utilities, central engineering services like planning, design and modification workshop, condition monitoring. What should be minimum skill they should have? I have tried to list few.
1 Drawing/Sketch preparation
2 Inspection of spares.
3 Measuring instrument usage.
4 Basic skill of PC (They are better then old lot like us)
5 Guiding a technician for alignment correction working with PC
6 Analytic approach in understanding the m/c problems and its temporary as well
  as lasting solution.
7 Look, listen and feel of plant m/c.
8 Planning of s/d
9 Supervising the maintenance activities (Here major correction is needed, present generation is PC savvy, and probably they don't like to work in field, this is not true for medical profession. A doctor is best in his dispensary, compared to any of his subordinate)
10 Preparation of specifications of items, work order etc.
11 Assembly drawing reading, and probably remembering scantly, and in case of need in future retrieve the needed document from existing system.
You may like to mkae one exhstive list, other memebers also may contribute.. If you know some link on the subject please inform
Regards
HN Gohel

« Last Edit: 11/28/07 at 20:06:07 by Rolly Angeles »  
Email View Profile   IP Logged
Rolly Angeles
Rolly Angeles

Re: Competencies of fresh Mechanicl Engineeres
Reply #1 - 08/03/07 at 22:57:57

Hello Hasmukh,

When you say fresh, this means their first work after college and these people have no prior experience.  In that case, they will be on a learning curve for 6 months in your company, until they will be assigned on a specific position.  We called them Cadet Engineers, what is important is you must have a training program in your company for these people.

My Warm Regards,

Rolly Angeles
www.rsareliability.com
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
HNGOHEL
RSA Newbies

Forum member

Re: Competencies of fresh Mechanicl Engineeres
Reply #2 - 08/04/07 at 21:06:08

Dear Rolly,

Almost every other day I have checked the forum for your reply It is nice of you to reply by mail. We do have training programme. But I feel competencies should be decided first, like we have competencies defied for school going students, in each and every book they indicate the competencies of students.

On this 2st of August I have completed 30 years in the industry. And majority of training programme. They have fancy names like "Challenges of modern time" Reliability enhancement etc... and we have old wine in new bottles.

I define competencies as the way I have learn walking, cycling, typing, preparation of sketches, use of measurement instruments etc. Though it was a unstructured training.
If at all I would have been given a structured training I would have been better engineer today.
I will quote one recent example, we have seven centrifugal pumps in one a plant having noise level above 85dBA. I had checked all the pumps with motor and immediate observation was it was motors  & not pumps ( I had posted one question on this forum )
Due to may association with Rootcause conference I see things differently.

On 3rd August  I downloaded one IOM from Flowserve site and could see that Pump  with motor  90KWX2900 RPM emit 95dBA noise (USL). Similar study was done to locate silent motor. And today I prepared a mail with a clear message that we can't reduce the noise of this motor and we will have to use ear protection.

If you know any link on the subject please inform.
I feel great to have reply from your side.
Regards
HN Gohel

Email View Profile   IP Logged
rsare
RSA Newbies

Forum member

Re: Competencies of fresh Mechanical Engineeres
Reply #3 - 10/29/11 at 01:47:17

Usually a noise survey will be conducted during the commissioning of the plant - where dB measured are  plotted and warning signs installed.

If not and you have access to SLM then u should be able to detect cross noise and have a table for the NRR in case abatement is necessary. In our plant concern start if the reasding is 90 dB and above - dito na ipla-plano kung may action na dapat gawain to reduce the level of risk exposure ng mga trabahador.

Pero if youre after monitoring the performance of an equipment - vibration is the way to go.

By the way, youve mention competencies. Medyo may pagkaiba ang diskarte namin dito - having over 33.000 employees and 18 plants (from cement, metals, olefins and special chemicals) spread across 3 continents - wee need to focus on training and competencies to ensure that personnel are capable of not only running plant - but ensuring that only personnel and equipment are protected but also the environment in a cost effective way.

I work in one our affiliates producing olefins, polymers and special chemicals - im based inside the plant (outside Phil). Focus of my work is equipment reliability .

View Profile   IP Logged
rsare
RSA Newbies

Forum member

Reply #4 - 10/29/11 at 01:56:17

To HN Gohel,

Pahabol. Im abit surprised na hinogot pa sa website yung noise level para sa equipment. If competencies are in place - it means na mayroon kayong formalized written procedures addressing the task/activities to be performed including the expected indicators o KPI's.

Our competencies are based on Job Description/Responsibilities plus our ISO written policy/procedures/work instruction. Gamit rin namin ito ito evaluate or appraise the employee perfoormance.

Regards,
Isang retirable engineer.

View Profile   IP Logged
rsare
RSA Newbies

Forum member

Reply #5 - 10/29/11 at 03:16:32

New hires - they go on OJT. Pagkatapos ng probationary period at na-evaluate ang performance ng OJT, pasok siya as a candidate para maging fully fucntional crew ng isang departamento (tulad ng Maintenance).

Kung pasa ka sa probi at ikaw ay nasa kategorya ng isang professional tulad ng engineer - may tatlong level ito bago mo matungtong ang position ng isang Supe o Manager (may hawak ng tao at may budget ka na)

Bawat isang level na paakyat ay may katumbas na compentcies na dapat mong ipakita at ipamalas - mostly its centered around skilled, attitudes and knowledge.

Decades ago, ive setup the KAS making up the competencies for Reliability Engineer from newly hired to top gun.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print